Tuesday 8 May 2012

Not my iPhone, I beg of you

My first ever phone <3
I’m a girl in my late teens. I don’t have any children. I do however have a puppy and an iPhone. Anyone else that can relate to my position knows that these two variables in a person’s life are hugely important, and feed on each other. I love my puppy, I love my iPhone. I take photos of my puppy on my iPhone. I then obsess over the photos of my puppy on my iPhone.
I got my first phone when I was 11 or 12, and it was a classic Nokia brick. I went through Nokia’s and Samsung’s, until my Dad bought me an iPhone 3G when I was 17, at the start of year 12. It. Was. Bliss.
I can honestly say that I would not have made it through the hell of my final year of high school without my iPhone, and the distraction that it gave me.
It wouldn’t be far from the truth when someone says that their life is their iPhone. It very easily can be. An iPhone has everything; texts, calls, games, Facebook, the internet, calendar, and so much more. An iPhone is more than just a phone. It is a lifestyle.
What the screen of my 3G looked like :(
Since destroying my 3G on three separate occasions (by dropping it on tiles when sitting on the toilet or by angrily throwing it on the floor in a moment of passionate rage), I have upgraded to a 4S. I almost lost it forever in the backseat of a Taxi once, and I felt as if my parents had been kidnapped. My contacts, my photos, my music, my text message history, my notes and plans and diary, my bank details all gone; I cried. Outside Swanston street McDonalds in the city at 10 o’clock on a Saturday night, I hurt (almost) as much as a death in the family.
I don’t think I’m the only one that feels, and would feel this way. I’m sure almost everyone who owns an iPhone feel like their phone is their lifeline.
The mobile phone was essentially invented so that people were accessible in moments of emergency. I know that that’s why my parents gave me one of their spares; in case I needed a lift and it was late, or I was lost and scared.
What began as a black brick of a phone that only had the ability to call someone or play Snake, has morphed into an always available, constantly working and thinking smart phone that has almost every detail of anyone’s life implanted in it.
Is that a scary thought? That by taking someone’s phone, you have access to almost every aspect of their life. I think it is, but that doesn’t mean I can deny the ease and the need for a phone such as the iPhone. It was a brilliant idea, and it still is. iPhones will continue to evolve, and there will be Androids trying to keep up (let’s face it, they’ll never quite be as good). There will be a time when almost everyone in Western society will have an iPhone.
And I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment